Monday, August 10, 2015

COM Class of 2019 Introduced to Medical School During Orientation

The University of South Alabama College of Medicine welcomed new faces this week for the Class of 2019’s freshman orientation.

First-year medical students were introduced to faculty members, attended information sessions and participated in icebreaker activities throughout the week.

“It is exciting because I have spent years focusing on becoming a physician, and I am finally at step one. I can’t believe that it is actually here,” said first-year medical student Shelby Bassett. “I am intrigued to see what exactly is going to happen over the next four years.”

Bassett, who earned her undergraduate degree at the University of Alabama, said she chose to come to USA for medical school because of the family environment, the smaller class size and the diverse curriculum. “I felt like this is the place that would make me the best physician.” she said. “I didn’t want to be a part of a massive group. I wanted to be really hands-on in my medical career and I felt like USA offered that. I am very excited to be here.”

First-year medical student Harrison Dilworth said he has a combination of feelings about starting medical school. “I am excited because I am in medical school and I have worked hard to get here. I am also nervous because I don’t really know what to expect, and I’m anxious because I am ready to get started.”

Dilworth, who received his undergraduate degree from Tuskegee University, came to USA for several reasons. “When I interviewed at USA, I really liked the campus, the atmosphere and the welcoming faculty,” he said. “When touring the campus and the hospitals, I just felt like I was home.”

Another first year medical student, Agam Dhawan, agreed. “I was looking for a medical school with a bonding environment, which is not something I would have gotten at other medical schools. I wanted a family environment. That is the main reason I wanted to come to USA, and I knew I would get an outstanding medical education here.

Click here to view more photos from orientation.