Friday, March 15, 2024

Meet a Med Student: Emily Hartsell

Emily Hartsell

Age: 32

Class: 2026

Hometown: Huntsville, Alabama

Undergraduate education: B.S. in biological sciences/chemistry, University of Alabama at Huntsville

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
The best thing about South is the sense of community. I'm grateful for the lifelong friendships I've made with my fellow students and for the mentorship of faculty who support my research and academic goals. 

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I won the Center for Clinical and Translational Science/TL1 training award, which is a grant that supports my full-time research in the Department of Pharmacology this year. Our lab is taking a multi-omics approach to developing precision medicine approaches to the treatment of sepsis. 

I'm also vice president of the Pathology Interest Group (PAIG) and serve as a social chair for the Class of 2026. 

What are your interests and hobbies?
I enjoy being outdoors, going to group fitness classes with my friends, planning social events, and reading science fiction. 

What is something unique about you?
I've worked summer jobs in Denali and the Grand Canyon.