Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Meet a Med Student: Avery Silar

Avery Silar

Age: 24

Class: 2025

Hometown: Lafayette, Louisiana

Undergraduate education: B.S. in biomedical sciences, Auburn University

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I love the small class size. It allows for the opportunity to get to know everyone fairly well and creates a real sense of community.

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I am one of the M3 A&E student representatives to the curriculum committee, as well as chair of the student subcommittee of the curriculum committee. I also serve as vice president of the Family Planning & Reproductive Health Interest Group, and I recently became one of the M3 Peer Academic Leaders (PALs). 

What are your interests and hobbies?
Reading, walking, yoga, thrifting

What is something unique about you?
I rode horses competitively throughout my childhood/teenage years and was even homeschooled for a while to be able to travel to more competitions throughout the year.