Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Meet a Med Student: Anthony Fant

Anthony Fant

Age: 27

Class: 2026

Hometown: Mobile, Alabama

Undergraduate education: B.S. in biology, University of Alabama 

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I love being able to engage in lots of hands-on clinical experiences before our upperclassmen clinical rotations. 

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I am involved in Pure Word Deliverance Tutoring, where we act as mentors and teachers for underserved elementary and middle-school students in the Mobile area, as well as provide basic healthcare screenings and education to their families and the community. I’m also an active member of the Christian Medical Ministry of South Alabama in summer projects and small-group Bible study.

I presented research at the USA Medical Student Summer Research Program in 2021 under Mikhail Alexeyev, Ph.D., which was honored with a Clyde G. Huggins Award and a paper publication. In 2023, I presented additional research in the Summer Research Program under Abu-Bakr Al-Mehdi, M.D., Ph.D. 

What are your interests and hobbies?
I love running, tennis, painting and video games.

What is something unique about you?
I can ride a skim board on one leg.