Monday, November 29, 2021

Faculty Spotlight: Tyler McDonald, M.D.

Tyler McDonald, M.D.

Academic title: Assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: September 2021

What does your position in the USA COM/USA Health entail? 
As a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon, I specialize in all aspects of orthopaedic care for children and adolescents including spine care. I see patients in the clinic, teach residents in the orthopaedic surgery residency program and perform orthopaedic surgeries.

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
Helping a child regain their function to get them playing and being a kid again.

What research or other initiatives are you involved in?
Many of my research interests involve pediatric spine pathology, such as idiopathic, neuromuscular and congenital scoliosis in children.

What is your advice for medical/basic medical sciences students?
Keep your options open and let your heart guide you. I thought I wanted to be a joint replacement surgeon until midway through residency when I started working more with kids. I knew I was called to help children.

What are your hobbies/interests outside of work?
Fly fishing and woodworking. When I’m not at work you can probably find me building something in my garage “workshop.”