Friday, April 17, 2020

Q & A with second-year student Devon Askins

Meet Devon Askins, 24, a second-year student at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine who has aspirations of becoming an ophthalmologist. She recently spoke about navigating her way through medical school, discussed her goals for the future, and offered advice to upcoming medical students.

Eyes on the Prize: Life in Medical School

Q: What inspired you to go to medical school?
D.A.: While in middle and high school, I realized math and science were the subjects I enjoyed and were strong in, and over time started to learn more about and love the medical field. Sometime around my junior year I made up my mind that I was going to be a doctor and nothing was going to stop me from there!

Q: What made you choose the University of South Alabama College of Medicine?
D.A.: My interest in the USA College of Medicine began after I met Mark Scott, the director of admissions. He represented the warmth and welcome I feel every day at the university. The other major reason I chose USA came from our high board scores – which is quite impressive.

Q: What kind specialty interests you?
D.A.: Since college, I’ve had a major interest in ophthalmology. My dad has a career in ophthalmic surgical sales and his connections with doctors across the Southeast definitely ignited that interest. I have spent most of my time shadowing this specialty, but I’ve also explored other career options such as dermatology or radiology.

Q: You’re a second-year student. How is second year different than first year?
D.A.: Second year is more enjoyable than first year because of the material you are learning – it is significantly more organ systems based compared to first year. You also start the second year knowing what type of studying works for you, which makes it less stressful than first year. However, you are also dividing your time between studying and preparing to take the national board exam all students take at the end of second year. That is very difficult and you do find yourself working harder than ever before.

Q: How can a student deal with stress in medical school?
D.A.: One thing I always remind myself when I am overly stressed is – 'one bite at a time.' That’s truly what helps me the most. I keep on chipping away at one thing on my to-do list instead of trying to focus on everything that I have to do or trying to do multiple projects at the same time. I also really prioritize my health. I sleep as much as possible, set time limits on my TV breaks (which also helps ensure I get extra sleep), eat well and continue my daily exercise.

Fun with Devon: Life Outside Medical School 

Q: What do you like to do for fun when you’re not studying?
D.A.: My favorite thing has to be exercising with my dog. Back in college, I rescued a German Shepherd from a shelter in Montgomery. He has changed my life so much and one of the main ways he has done so is in how much I exercise. He gets me outside each day whether I want to or not and I believe this is a major factor behind my performance in medical school.

Q: Favorite food from the café at South Alabama?
D.A.: I really do not eat out often at all – I instead love to cook at home. But if I had to choose I would go with Chick-Fil-A. You can’t ever go wrong there!

Q: What’s your favorite social media channel and why?
D.A.: I would say Instagram. My mom is a photographer, so my sister and I grew up with an appreciation for pictures and the artistry behind photographers. Instagram is such a great place to see and share creativity, while keeping up with friends and family.

Q: Do you have any hidden talents?
D.A.: I do! Early on in high school is when I noticed I have a photographic memory. As I buckled down in school, I received higher scores on exams. I also began to notice that if I became stuck on a problem, I could mentally picture the text or page that would lead me to the correct answer. However, I do not use it as often as people would imagine. It is actually my last resort on a test.

Q: If you could offer some advice to students thinking about medical school, what would it be?
D.A.: To believe in yourself! When I taught the MCAT for Kaplan, I too often heard students say, ‘I’ll never remember that’ or ‘I’m not as smart as them.’ Sure, you have to be smart to get into medical school, but a big part of medical school that can set you apart from others is how hard you work. Instead of doubting what you know, act on it! Although medical school is pretty tough, you don’t want to miss this. It is truly amazing what we are learning and I can’t imagine missing out on it.