Tuesday, August 13, 2019

A seamless transition: from fellow to faculty

For Benjamin Niland, M.D., choosing a career in medicine was an innate decision. “Ever since I was a young child, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would have told you that I was going to be a doctor,” he said. “It was just something that was a part of me from the beginning.”

Now, Niland is living his dream as he recently completed his gastroenterology fellowship at USA Health. Serving as an assistant professor of internal medicine at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine and a gastroenterologist with USA Health, he is excited to build his career at the place he now calls home.

“I am thrilled to serve as an active participant in the continued advancements of USA Health and its role in our medical community,” he said. “As both a division and health system, we are currently experiencing great growth in our ability to care for our community.”

Niland says his fellowship training at USA Health offered him the opportunity to seamlessly build upon relationships and partnerships he initiated during his fellowship training – an opportunity he wouldn’t have elsewhere. “My time as a fellow also allowed me to establish a patient base which I look forward to continuing to build,” he said. “I have great confidence in the GI fellowship training program at USA Health and feel well prepared to have a successful career in gastroenterology.”

Niland said his interest in the medical field extends far beyond the careers intellectually stimulating and rewarding nature. “Being a physician also provides great opportunities for humanitarian service, both on an individual and community scale,” he said.

A Louisiana native, Niland earned his medical degree from Louisiana State University in New Orleans. He then completed his residency training at the Medical University of South Carolina and a gastroenterology fellowship at USA Health.

He is a member of the American College of Gastroenterology, the American Gastroenterological Association, the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and the Medical Society of Mobile County.

His clinical interests include esophageal disease, GI physiology and functional disease, and inflammatory bowel disease.

Niland is accepting new patients. To make an appointment, call (251) 660-5555.