Tuesday, September 23, 2014

First-Year Medical Students Take Class of 2018 Oath

Freshman medical students at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine took the Class of 2018 Oath during a ceremony on Sept. 22, 2014.

This was the first of three oaths that students take while in medical school at USA. In a year and a half -- June 2016 -- these students will take the Medical Student Oath at the White Coat Ceremony as they transition into clerkships.

Two short years later – in May 2018 -- this group of students will take the Hippocratic Oath at Convocation. The Hippocratic Oath is taken by all medical students as they graduate.

“In neither the Hippocratic Oath nor the Medical Student Oath do students have any input. They simply read the oath and commit to words that someone else wrote,” said Dr. Susan LeDoux, associate dean of medical education and student affairs. “The oath that the students took today is unique to their class. They created this oath. Thus, they are committing to something that they wrote. That makes this Class of 2018 Oath very special.”

To view more photos from the ceremony, click here .

The Oath, developed by the Class of 2018, is shown below.

As a student in the University of South Alabama’s College of Medicine Class of 2018:

I will continuously strive for excellence in my understanding of the health sciences, and remember that my education is a privilege

I will be a life-long learner, acquiring and applying knowledge to practice medicine altruistically

I will remember that medicine is an art that extends beyond the academic realm and holds vital the values of humanism, integrity, and empathy

I will practice an ethical, unbiased, compassionate, and holistic form of medicine

I will respect and appreciate the diverse backgrounds and cultural values of all patients and colleagues with whom I have the opportunity to work

I will be transparent in my communication with patients, their families, and my colleagues, all while upholding confidentiality

I will uphold the practices of patient autonomy and conduct myself in a professional manner

I will be conscientious of my actions and keep patient welfare a top priority

I will maintain a healthy balance between my personal and professional life for the sake of my patients’ well being, as well as my own

I will practice self-reflection, be rid of my pride, and remember that it is my duty to selflessly serve others

I am committed to uphold the values and responsibilities that come with being a student doctor and I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant