Friday, August 13, 2010

COM Class of 2014 Introduced To Medical School During Orientation This Week

Left to Right: Whitney Toole, Osman Hashmi, Stephanie Stopka and Christopher Hoffman were among the University of South Alabama College of Medicine Class of 2014 who were introduced to medical school this week during orientation. There are 74 students in this year's freshman class.

The University of South Alabama College of Medicine welcomed new faces this week during the Class of 2014’s freshman orientation.

Osman Hashmi, who received his bachelor’s degree in psychology from USA, said orientation has been a great way to get to know everyone. “I’m really nervous and excited all at the same time,” he said. “I know it will be a challenge, but I’m ready for it.”

During freshman orientation, students completed the registration process and were given an overview of what they should expect during their upcoming years as medical students. On Friday, the orientation committee spoke with the students, giving them important information on how to survive their first year in medical school.

“Orientation is really a rush of information,” said Stephanie Stopka. “We get all of the basics covered, and we also get to meet everybody. It’s a great opportunity to get to know more about our classmates.”

Stopka, originally from Gainesville, Fla., graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in nutritional science and sports medicine. She said the transition to USA has been great. “I have family in Mobile, so it’s nice to have a good support system here,” she said. “It makes everything a lot more comforting.”

Stopka said she chose to attend medical school at USA because of the atmosphere. “The university is extremely student-centered -- they are always here for us. Having the opportunity to come here is phenomenal.”

For some first-year students, there was a strong personal motivation that led them to attend medical school. Whitney Toole said she always knew she wanted to be a doctor. “When I was in fifth grade, my dad died of a heart attack and it really pushed me to become involved and help others,” she said. “I’m here mainly because of him.”

Toole, originally from Calvert, Ala., received her undergraduate degree in science business from the University of Notre Dame. She has been looking forward to coming back home to Alabama. Toole will be the first physician in her family.

Currently, Hashmi is interested in cardiac surgery, although he knows his interests may change throughout the four years of medical school. “A lot of my family has had heart surgery and that is something that really interests me.”

With physicians in his immediate family – his father is an endocrinologist and his sister is a fourth-year medical student in Birmingham – Hashmi always knew a career in medicine would be in his future.

The students agree that during the entire orientation experience, there have been so many feelings wrapped into one. “I’m looking forward to starting a new page in my life,” Stopka said. “I get to follow my passion, and I’m excited about it.”

“I’m anxious to get started,” said Tuskeege, Ala., native Christopher Hoffman. “I know it will be intense, but I’m ready to go.”

Hoffman attended the University of Alabama at Huntsville, where he completed his undergraduate degree in biological sciences. He said he would love to go back and visit his hometown after medical school.

“The area faces many challenges,” he said, “and I would like to go back and mentor and encourage young people. I want them to know that if I can do it, they can too.”