Thursday, December 9, 2021

Faculty Spotlight: Jess Mullens, M.D.


Jess Mullens, M.D.

Academic title: Assistant professor of orthopaedic surgery, foot and ankle

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: November 2021

What does your position in the USA COM/USA Health entail?
My position within the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery entails treatment of orthopaedic foot and ankle problems which includes fractures, ligament and tendon injuries, foot deformity and complex reconstruction, as well as diabetic foot care. I take part in research and teach residents and medical students on my service.

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
My favorite part of my position is the opportunity to work with residents and medical students to teach all aspects of the foot and ankle. I believe it is important to be able to share what you are passionate about and to show others how to get back on their feet again.

What research or other initiatives are you involved in?
I have an interest in research specifically in the fields of wound healing and functional outcomes for common foot and ankle procedures. I hope to partner with other surgical divisions in developing a comprehensive wound care center.

What is your advice for medical/basic medical sciences students?
My advice for students is to always keep an open mind about what lies ahead in your future. It’s important to study the material to truly learn it. Don’t study just to get to the next step. Find mentors who will spend time with you and share their knowledge because that’s how you find your career. From the time I started medical school until the time I ended residency, my career path must have changed at least a dozen times. And looking back, it was my mentors who helped pave the way to where I am now.

What are your hobbies/interests outside of work?
I enjoy spending time with my wife and two children in Orange Beach. I like to play basketball and stay active. I enjoy taking trips with my family, watching movies and reading a good book.