Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Faculty Spotlight: Meghan Hermance, Ph.D.

Meghan Hermance, Ph.D.

Academic title: Assistant professor of microbiology and immunology 

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: May 2020

What does your position in the USA COM/USA Health entail?
The focus of my position is on research, specifically on emerging tick-borne viruses. I plan and oversee my laboratory's research activities, working toward our overall goal of elucidating the determinants of tick-borne virus transmission and pathogenesis. We communicate the findings of our experiments by submitting our research manuscripts to peer-reviewed journals for publication. Pursuing extramural research funding is also an integral part of my position. 

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
Having the opportunity to develop my own research themes and lead a research program that focuses on tick-virus-host interactions is incredibly rewarding. Seeing members of my lab organically generate their own interests and scientific questions within the field of vector biology is also very rewarding.

What research initiatives are you involved in?
We're evaluating the ability of an invasive tick species, the Asian longhorned tick, to transmit North American tick-borne viruses. Tick-borne viruses are unique from single-host viruses because they must replicate in both vertebrate and invertebrate hosts; therefore, we are also studying the intra-tick and intra-host dynamics that enable tick-borne viruses to establish infection and disseminate within the distinct environments of the tick and vertebrate host. 

What is your advice for medical and basic medical sciences graduate students?
I advise medical students to seek a basic science research opportunity, as hand-on training in the scientific method will facilitate their ability to integrate basic science knowledge with clinical decision-making. Graduate students are advised to practice their scientific writing and ability to articulate the significance and public health impact of their research.

What are your hobbies/interests outside of work? 
I have a 5-year-old basset hound who always loves a good walk in midtown Mobile. I enjoy exploring the history and culture of any city I live in or visit. My alma mater is Texas A&M, so I'm always pulling for my Aggies!