Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Whiddon COM Class of 2028 elects officers

The Whiddon College of Medicine Class of 2028 recently elected its top officers and other M1 representatives.

Anne Elizabeth Crowell, president
Leading the class is Anne Elizabeth Crowell as president – a role that allows her to be a cheerleader for her class. 

“I absolutely love my classmates!” she said. “It is such an honor to serve and encourage those who have helped me learn and grow so much already in medical school.”

Her goals as president are three-fold: “For my classmates, I hope to make their learning environment positive and to represent them well to faculty and administration. For my school, I seek to uplift the Whiddon COM and show those around me all of the amazing opportunities and incredible learning experiences that are found here,” she said. “As for my personal goals through this position, I hope to grow in my leadership skills through increasing my time management, delegation, advocacy and intentionality skills.” 

In her few short weeks as president, Crowell said she has already learned so much about her classmates and herself. 

“I am incredibly blessed to have amazing officers, faculty and administration surrounding me,” she said. “I am so thankful for all the guidance and wisdom that has been passed down to me that I am able to incorporate into my presidency. I am continually so thankful for this opportunity.” 

Mohammed Ghalib, vice president
As vice president, Mohammed Ghalib’s goal is “to build a bridge between students and faculty, ensuring transparency and collaboration in decision-making processes,” he said. “I hope to facilitate initiatives that address the needs of our diverse student body as well as other initiatives that will enrich our overall experience.”

Ghalib said he aimed to take on a leadership role to help foster a strong, supportive community among his classmates. 

“Medical school can be challenging, and having a sense of camaraderie can make a huge difference,” he said. “As vice president, I want to be an advocate for my peers, ensuring that their voices are heard and that we maintain a collaborative and inclusive environment.”

Ghalib said he was drawn to the Whiddon College of Medicine because of its emphasis on community, innovation in medical education, and commitment to serving underserved populations. 

“I’m truly honored to be in this leadership role, and I take it as an opportunity to give back to the community that has already given me so much in such a short amount of time,” he said. “I’m excited to continue advocating for my peers and ensuring that we all succeed together.”

Brandi Broome, secretary
Brandi Broome decided to run for secretary so she could advocate for her classmates while still having time to balance work and family. The position also enables her to use her writing skills. 

“I hope to help my classmates achieve their goals, even when it's just managing the small details,” she said.

The Whiddon College of Medicine was her medical school of choice, she said, “because after speaking to everyone here, I believed these people would actually care if I succeeded and help me if I struggled.”

“I'm thrilled to be here, proud of my class, and happy to help any of you,” she added. 

Allee Alexander, treasurer
Allee Alexander was elected class treasurer. She looks forward to serving her classmates while building valuable leadership skills needed to be a successful physician. 

“As class treasurer, I hope to establish an open line of communication between myself and my classmates regarding expenses and class purchases,” she said. “I also hope to work with the administration to create a smooth transition plan for future class treasurers.” 

Alexander aspired to attend medical school at the Whiddon College of Medicine since she was a sophomore in high school, when she first set her sights on becoming a physician. In her first two months as a medical student, she said she is reminded almost daily that she made the right decision, as she is able to get involved in the community and form meaningful relationships.

“The professors truly want you to succeed, and my classmates have become my family,” she said. “Serving as an officer has already allowed me to meet and learn from amazing upperclassmen and faculty. I have loved every minute of my time here at the Whiddon COM, and I cannot wait to see what the next four years have in store.” 

Class of 2028 officers and M1 representatives:

  • President: Anne Elizabeth Crowell
  • Vice President: Mohammed Ghalib
  • Secretary: Brandi Broome
  • Treasurer: Allee Alexander
  • Social Chairs: Peyton Brewer, Zachary McMullen and Kelly Nguyen
  • Merchandise Chairs: Dhruvika Patel and London Hinton
  • AV Assistant: Israel Valenzuela
  • Community and Volunteer Service: Cindy Nguyen and Mariam Hashmi
  • Honor Council: Seth McClendon, Jonathan Mallard, Ashlyn Conner and Shelby Singleton
  • Intramural Chairs: Bea Richardson, Tahj Jones and Asa Barnett
  • Yearbook Editors: Veronica Sanders and Israel Valenzuela
  • SGA Representative: Kaitlyn Riggins
  • Wellness Officers: Tessa Allen, Lydia Motamed, Waleed Saoud and Alex Stokes