Thursday, August 15, 2024

BMS graduate students join lab 'matches': Part 2

At the end of their first year of studies, students in the Basic Medical Sciences Graduate Program choose a major professor who will mentor them throughout the program. This selection also determines the students’ program track affiliation. Then, at the beginning of their second year, they join the labs with which they “matched,” and this lab home is where they will conduct research for their dissertation through graduation.

This year, 10 BMS graduate students joined labs. This week, meet the second group of five students: 

Manley Hicks
Age:
23
Hometown: Louisa, VA
Education: B.S. in natural sciences, concentration in cell and molecular biology; Pensacola Christian College
BMS track and faculty mentor: Infectious Disease and Host Defense; Michael “Rusty” Elliott, Ph.D.
Research focus: Macrophage hypophagia in cancer immunotherapies
Why did you choose to join this lab?
The mentor. While I love getting to work at MCI with my amazing coworkers, I would never have joined if Dr. Elliott wasn’t the man he is. My mentor is a top-tier scientist that cares for his students and wants us to become the best we can be. He is always available and more than willing to help while also not hovering, allowing us a healthy degree of independence. I’m getting to learn about a fascinating research field from an accomplished scientist, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to be his student. Shoutout to my lab mates Brianna, Mita, and Mary! 

Hoa Thi Tran
Age:
38
Hometown: Binh Phuoc, Vietnam
Education: B.Sc. in biotechnology and M.Sc. in microbiology; Vietnam National University – Ho Chi Minh City University of Science
BMS program track and faculty mentor: Infectious Disease and Host Defense; Jonathon Audia, Ph.D.
Research focus: Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection that causes inflammation and pyroptosis in lung endothelial cells
Why did you choose to join this lab?
My research interest is studying the mechanism of bacterial infection and host immunity. I also love to learn about genetics and cell biology, so I chose the Audia lab where I have many chances to work with DNA, RNA and protein. The important reason is I have a great mentor who is willing to teach me not only the biological knowledge background but also a lot of research skills. Moreover, department admin staff and other professors do care about the students and help the students when they need help. After working in this lab for several months, I believe that I made a good decision. 

Jonathan Cortez
Age: 23
Hometown: Bolingbrook, IL
Education: B.S. in cell and molecular biology; Pensacola Christian College 
Faculty mentor: Marie Migaud, Ph.D. 
Research focus: NAD metabolism and impacts of oxidized NAD 
Why did you choose to join this lab?
I wanted to challenge myself in my Ph.D., and I felt like joining an organic synthesis lab would provide a unique challenge and a variety of experience in science. Dr. Migaud is teaching me to do organic synthesis as well as allowing me to pursue biology, so it was a good opportunity to grow in two fields. 

Rebecca Tang-Holmes
Age: 32
Hometown: Irvington, AL
Education: B.S. in cardiorespiratory sciences, Master of Business Administration; University of South Alabama
BMS program track and faculty mentor: Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Biology; Silas Leavesley, Ph.D., and Tom Rich, Ph.D.
Research focus: Detection of cancer-related spectral signatures in neoplastic tissues using excitation-scanning hyperspectral imaging techniques
Why did you choose to join this lab?
I was a respiratory therapist for 10 years before matriculating into the Basic Medical Sciences Ph.D. program, and my clinical experience is largely what influences my interest in translational medicine. The technological development work of Drs. Leavesley and Rich has fueled my intrigue, and the other members of the lab – Dr. Naga Annamdevula and Santina Johnson – continue to inspire me on a daily basis in various aspects of life. Plus, it's fun! I am excited to have a hand in potentiating the transition of their technology from benchtop to bedside one day. So, stay tuned!

Michael Shaw
Age: 24
Hometown: Newnan, GA
Education: B.S. in biology and B.S. in information technology; Georgia Southern University
BMS program track and faculty mentor: Biomedical Engineering & Bioinformatics; Glen Borchert, Ph.D. 
Research focus: The role of DNA secondary structure in mediating interactions between genetic regulatory elements and how their perturbation affects the severity of various disease states
Why did you choose to join this lab? 
I’ve always been interested in genetics, and this lab conducts cutting-edge research within that realm of science, with notoriety in both the amount of publications it produces and their quality. I also thoroughly enjoy working with the other members of the lab, and I really appreciate the mentoring style and lab culture Dr. Borchert provides to his students. It is also a nice plus knowing that the Borchert Lab is well funded.