Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Meet a Med Student: Cya Johnson

Cya Johnson

Age: 27

Class: 2026

Hometown: Birmingham, Alabama

Undergraduate/graduate education: B.A. in medicine, health and society from Vanderbilt University; M.S. in biomedical sciences from University of Alabama at Birmingham 

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I enjoy the collaborative environment where we all help each other by sharing resources and study materials. Our small class sizes also make it so easy to get to know my classmates and to interact with faculty in an authentic way.

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
Last summer, I researched the applications of artificial intelligence in the diagnosis of melanoma through the Summer Medical Student Research Program. I also helped organize the Student Organizations Fair as a member of the M1 Orientation Committee and assisted with the Stars & Stripes Program through the USA Center for Healthy Communities. I am the current president of Student National Medical Association and a member of the Dermatology Interest Group. 

What are your interests and hobbies?
I love cooking, traveling, exploring different cultures through food, and Beyoncé. 

What is something unique about you?
My name is rarely pronounced correctly. :)