Thursday, May 18, 2023

Meet a Med Student: Jonathan Lee

Jonathan Lee 

Age: 29

Class: 2024

Hometown: Coffeeville, Alabama

Undergraduate/graduate education: B.S. in biomedical engineering, M.S. in engineering design and commercialization, University of Alabama at Birmingham

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I am an advanced-standing transfer from a different medical school. While I primarily transferred for family reasons, the Whiddon College of Medicine has been a stellar experience. The faculty, culture and curriculum are unparalleled here. It is the best environment I could have imagined to further my medical education.

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the College of Medicine?
I am involved in the Emergency Medicine Interest Group, and I'm a Stop the Bleed associate instructor with the American College of Surgeons.

What are your interests and hobbies?
As an individual from rural, southwest Alabama, my passions for wildlife, nature and adventure carry over into my medical pursuits. I built a race car in graduate school, design and prototype parts with a 3D printer and 3-axis CNC at home, and enjoy riding my motorcycle for multi-day trips to explore and camp. I am passionate about austere environment medicine, trauma/resuscitation, and critical care.

What is something unique about you?
I am a soon-to-be physician who still rides a "donorcycle" (motorcycle), rain or shine.