Monday, April 25, 2022

Faculty Spotlight: Debanjan Chakroborty, Ph.D.

Debanjan Chakroborty, Ph.D.

Title: Assistant professor of pathology

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: July 2021

What does your position in the USA COM/USA Health entail?
As an assistant professor in the pathology department and a faculty member at the Mitchell Cancer Institute, my position entails conceiving, performing and supervising basic/translational cancer research; obtaining extramural research funding for my research projects; and engaging in teaching and training graduate students, residents and postdoctoral fellows. 

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
The most rewarding part of my job is that I have the freedom to think independently and pursue my own research program. As a researcher as well as an educator, I get many opportunities to interact with people from diverse scientific and academic backgrounds. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had great mentors throughout my research career who were instrumental in shaping up my academic career. I would also like to pass on the same experience to my students. 

What research are you involved in?
The research focus of my lab is to understand the regulatory role of endogenous growth factors in cancer progression. We are studying how dysregulation of these growth factors regulates different aspects of tumor progression. The ultimate goal is to develop novel therapeutic strategies targeting these factors.    

What is your advice for medical and graduate students?
The medical field is ever evolving, and practicing medicine has now become more evidence-based, where critical appraisal of new evidence and engagement with new ideas have become essential. I advise students to be actively engaged in research, as the experience will help them with critical thinking, problem solving and decision making. 

What are your hobbies/interests outside of work?
I am a sports and music enthusiast. I love playing soccer and cricket. I am a trained percussionist. I am fascinated by the different kinds of percussion instruments played in different parts of world, and I wish to play each one of them in my lifetime. I also love traveling to new places, meeting people and learning about the diverse cultures and different lifestyles.