Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Faculty Spotlight: Jin H. Kim, D.V.M, Ph.D.

Jin H. Kim, D.V.M, Ph.D.

Academic title: Assistant professor of microbiology and immunology

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: September 2017

What does your position in the USA COM entail?
I am building up a research program in virology. My lab is particularly interested in influenza virus, HIV and COVID-19.

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
The most rewarding part is having a successful experiment out of myriad failures and getting to know new ideas that have not been tested yet. 

What research initiatives are you involved in?

  • Influenza viruses can mix their genetic materials and make a brand new one. An example of such a case was the last 2010 swine flu pandemic. I'm interested in understanding how they can do this. Then, my ultimate goal is to develop an antiviral drug to block it. I envision that influenza viruses are less likely to tolerate and resist such a target.
  • A bioluminescent influenza virus was generated recently in my lab. It allows us to trace where the virus grows in real-time mode in animal models. So, I will utilize it for pathological and immunological research. Ultimately, I will apply it for translational research for developing a universal influenza vaccine. 
  • Among the COVID-19 patients, about 30-40 percent of people didn't even know they caught COVID-19, but they were still spreading virus. These cases are called asymptomatic infections. We don't know why it happened yet. In my lab, I am investigating the mechanism behind it.

What is your advice for medical and graduate students?
The current COVID-19 pandemic reminds us how critical it is to control and prevent infectious diseases. Previous influenza pandemics also urge vigilance concerning infectious diseases. For example, although flu vaccine and antiviral drugs are available, seasonal flu vaccine effectiveness range averages 50 percent, and recurring drug-resistant strains highlight the demand for improving countermeasures for public health. I encourage you to look around for research opportunities and get involved in saving more lives. 

What are your hobbies/interests outside of work?
I love skiing, but I can't find snow around here. I have a fishing kayak. I enjoy saltwater fishing, though I'm not a good fisherman yet.