Thursday, December 17, 2009

Q&A with USA Med Student Sarah Beth Hill


Sarah Beth Hill, a second year medical student at the University of South Alabama, won $123,000 in scholarship money at the Dr. Pepper Football Championship Challenge at the SEC Championship game on Dec. 5.

We recently caught up with Hill, and here’s what she had to say about her big win.

Q: What did the experience teach you?
A: I learned that people actually do win those random contests. I can't tell you how many times I've entered drawings, contests, etc., but I've never won anything. I've also been amazed at how far-reaching this is. People I barely know -- or complete strangers! -- have contacted me to say how excited they were when they watched the contest.

Q: Any competitive advantages being medical student?
A: I think the biggest advantage that med school provided was in handling the pressure. I've really learned how to tune out distractions and focus on the task at hand. Also, USA Football Coach Brendt Bedsole says I'm "very coachable,” and I attribute that quality to being a professional student.

Q: What has winning the competition changed and not changed?
A: It's a strange thing. The money goes directly to the University, so my bank account is just as meager as it ever was. Since I don't pay tuition out of pocket anyway (it's all student loans), the money doesn't really affect my day-to-day budgeting, etc. I know it will make a huge difference when I graduate with little-to-no loan burden, but for now it's still kind of surreal.

Q: In an article, it said you had to return on Monday to take a test – how do you think you did?
A: I had to take a final exam in Microbiology & Immunology. Those grades are not in yet, but I felt like I did fairly well. I studied as much as I could during the trip and all day on Sunday when we returned to Mobile. (Plus, my undergraduate degree is in Microbiology. That helped.)

Q: Do people recognize you when you go shopping, or out and about?
A: While we were still in Atlanta, I got recognized a lot -- several people even asked to snap pictures with their cell phones. In Mobile, I've been recognized a few times, mostly on campus. One lady did stop me at Wal-Mart and say, "I saw you on YouTube! How did you drink so much Dr. Pepper without burping!" (Answer: most of the drinking in the video is simulated, and the cans are empty.) I did get a note from a USA surgeon, as well as a letter from the Chamber of Commerce, congratulating me. Coach Bedsole reports that he's been recognized as well (he was in a lot of the news footage).

Q: Anything else you’d like to add?
A: I could not have done this without the help of the Jags football staff, especially Coach Bedsole. The support from the medical school has been amazing (especially COM 2012 -- several classmates gave up valuable study time to help with preparations), and I am so honored to represent them!

To view a video of Sarah Beth Hill interviewed on ESPN about her win, visit www.southalabama.edu/com/espn.wmv .