Monday, April 24, 2023

Alumni Spotlight: Olivia Means, M.D., pens children’s book

“Untying My Wings” is a story about a caterpillar named Rose who transforms into a butterfly. For first-time author Olivia Means, M.D., writing the book was an exercise in healing.

Means, a 2018 graduate of the Whiddon College of Medicine, recently published the picture book after developing it over several years following her father’s death from COVID-19.

The book follows Rose the caterpillar who befriends a spider named Sunny. After becoming a butterfly, Rose hides her new wings, remembering her friend is uncomfortable with flying insects. Eventually, Rose’s urge to fly and explore becomes too strong.

“This book is a story for adults and children,” Means said. “I hope that just like Rose, we are brave enough to untie our wings, even as we are falling, and show ourselves that the thing we needed to reach that blue flower was in us the whole time. As we learn how to do this, we can show our children.”

Means dedicated the book to her family. “This book was part of a holiday healing project I did with my sisters,” she said. “Seeing it to completion is my thank-you to my mom and sisters for continuing to heal.”

Now in her fifth year of residency training, Means is an integrated plastic surgery resident at Corewell Health/Michigan State University in Grand Rapids. 

She used Archway Publishing, the self-publishing arm of Simon & Schuster, to bring her book to life. “It allowed me to be involved in every step of the process and work at my own pace given my busy schedule with residency,” she said.

“Untying My Wings” is available online on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and McLean & Eakin Booksellers