Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Meet a Med Student: Andrew Washington

Andrew Washington

Age: 25

Class of: 2024

Hometown: Arab, Alabama

Undergraduate institution and degree earned: University of Alabama in Huntsville, Bachelor of Science, Biological Science

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I enjoy the overall atmosphere here at South. Most everyone in my class has been very friendly and helpful. The staff and clinical instructors are very invested in my learning and have made me feel comfortable as I progress through clerkship rotations now as a third year. I also enjoy the accessibility to hands-on learning with the patients that we serve here in at USA Health. 

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the College of Medicine?
I was the president of CMMSA during my second year and was able to be a part of a survey/service project last summer in which we explored some of the reasons that people were hesitant to be vaccinated against COVID and attempted to help answer their questions. I have not been a part of any formal research yet, but hope to join a project next semester. 

What are your interests and hobbies?
I have a beautiful wife and lovely 9-month-old daughter that I spend most of my time with. We love going to the beach, walking at our local park, traveling to see family, thrift shopping, and trying to cook new recipes at home. Additionally, I enjoy reading, listening to Christian rap music, watching Auburn basketball, and drinking black coffee early in the morning. 

What is something unique about you?
When I was in undergrad, my wife and I fostered a little boy for a little under a year. We still keep in touch to this day.