Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Meet a Med Student: AK Porter

AK Porter

Age: 24

Class of: 2025

Hometown: Birmingham, Alabama

Undergraduate institution and degrees earned: University of Mississippi (Ole Miss), B.S. in chemistry with math and biology minors

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I never could have imagined the community that I have found during my time in medical school: a community that inspires, challenges and supports me while also making medical school one of the most fun times of my life. The faculty and staff at the Whiddon College of Medicine genuinely care and are always accessible, personable, and willing to open their door to anyone. Also, I love how hands-on we are able to be starting from our first semester of medical school. 

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the College of Medicine?
I am involved with the Christian Medical Ministry of South Alabama (CMMSA) attending events and as the PR/social media coordinator. I am part of Jags Against Trafficking, OB-GYN Interest Group and do research with with USA's OB-GYN department.

What are your interests and hobbies?
Making sourdough bread; long walks with friends and my dog, Maverick; and watching Netflix with my husband, Evan

What is something unique about you?
I spent three months in Bulgaria teaching English and partnering with Daughters of Bulgaria, an organization committed to the prevention and awareness of human trafficking and sexual exploitation in Bulgaria.