Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Meet a Med Student: Yulong Huang

Yulong Huang

Age: 22

Class of: 2026

Hometown: Dickson, Tennessee

Undergraduate institution and degrees earned: University of South Alabama, B.S. in biomedical sciences and B.A. in philosophy

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I feel incredibly supported and encouraged by my classmates and faculty. The small class size means that I’ve had the chance to spend time with everyone in my year. We really are a tight-knit community!

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the College of Medicine?
I am one of several PEER Supporters and the secretary for Christian Medical Ministry of South Alabama (CMMSA). Over the summer, I co-organized the M1 summer orientation (with Naden Kreitz and our wonderful subcommittees of volunteers) for the class of 2026. Additionally, I volunteer in teaching English classes at Dwell Mobile. As for research, I’ve recently joined Dr. Thuy Phung’s project on melanoma and machine learning in the Department of Pathology.

What are your interests and hobbies?
Zumba, walking/hiking, thrift/vintage shopping, playing video games, spoiling my dog

What is something unique about you?
I’ve dyed my hair seven different colors, the more fun ones being blue, purple, orange, pink and rose gold.