Thursday, December 8, 2022

Meet a Med Student: Meagan Jones

Meagan Jones

Age: 23

Class of: 2026

Hometown: Hurley, Mississippi

Undergraduate institution and degree earned: University of South Alabama, B.S. in biomedical sciences

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I love being able to learn in such an uplifting and encouraging environment at the Whiddon College of Medicine. Our class works together and sends each other study materials, flash cards and practice questions; and I feel like I could go up and talk to anyone if I needed help on a subject, or just someone to talk to. Our professors really care about our education and want to see us succeed and become successful physicians. Having such a great atmosphere surrounding our education and classes really helps me stay positive and encouraged, even when I'm five lectures and 975 Anki cards behind (LOL).  

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the College of Medicine?
I am the Class of 2026's SGA representative, and I really enjoy getting to work with my fellow class officers. I am also a part of the Social Media Committee, who helps our awesome leader, Beth, come up with cool aspects to add to our social media accounts. In addition, I currently volunteer with the Student-Run Free Clinic in downtown Mobile, and I have really enjoyed being a part of that experience. I am a part of several specialty interest groups, and I hope to continue to be more involved as I continue my journey here!

What are your interests and hobbies?
One of my new interests that I have picked up while at the College of Medicine is watching football. I love having it on in the background while I study because it is great white noise, and when the crowd starts to get a little louder, I can look up just in time to see the best plays. I don't really have a huge affiliation to any college football team (except the Jags!), but I am a huge Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets fan. I also love to read during my study breaks, and I have a huge collection of books that I am working on reading. But, my absolute favorite thing to do is to spend time with my family, friends and my dog.

What is something unique about you?
Something unique about me is my extensive collection of cups, mugs, and water bottles. I don't know what it is about them, but I am obsessed! I have all kinds of water bottles, from glass to stainless steel, to huge one-gallon jugs. All of my classmates always like to see what bottle I bring to class that day, and I love having a fun way to stay hydrated. If you need a great bottle recommendation, don't be afraid to reach out! :)