Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Whiddon College of Medicine faculty recognized as 'Top Profs'

The Sally Steadman Azalea Chapter of the Mortar Board Senior Honor Society recently highlighted professors at the University of South Alabama at the 19th annual “Top Prof” ceremony. This year, Mortar Board members selected five faculty members from the Frederick P. Whiddon College of Medicine as their top professors. 

John Thomas Goodman, a biomedical sciences major, honored Natalie Bauer, Ph.D., associate professor of pharmacology. “Dr. Bauer has taken me under her wing as my research mentor and has dedicated a ton of her time toward helping me achieve my goals,” Goodman said. “She has served as a source of advice and has truly had a huge impact on my time here at South.” 

Noel Godang, a biomedical sciences major, recognized Glen Borchert, Ph.D., associate professor of pharmacology. “As a college freshman, I remember when I first walked into his office, and he immediately invited me to tour his lab,” Godang said. “As a research mentor, Dr. Borchert has taught me both resilience and basic lab skills in both biomedical bench work and bioinformatics. I’d like to thank him immensely for guiding me and giving me feedback on my Goldwater Scholarship application, as he is always there to support and ensure every student’s academic success.”

Brianna Mitchell, a biomedical sciences major, selected Meghan Hermance, Ph.D., assistant professor of microbiology and immunology. “Dr. Hermance has been my biggest supporter in my journey here at South, especially with my decision to apply to grad school,” Mitchell said. “Thank you, Dr. Hermance, for all of the support, knowledge and experience you have given me over this past year and a half; and know that without you, I would not be where I am today.” 

Josephine Jalkh, a biomedical sciences major, acknowledged Thomas Rich, Ph.D., professor of pharmacology. “Dr. Rich acts as my service mentor, and he has really upped my confidence, whether that’s in my presentation skills or in my ability to be a researcher,” Jalkh said. “He really wants to see anybody that he interacts with succeed. I really would not be here without Dr. Rich. It’s his help and his guidance that have gotten me to this point.”

Waleed Saoud, a chemical engineering major, recognized Silas Leavesley, Ph.D., professor of pharmacology who has a dual appointment in the College of Engineering. “Dr. Leavesley is my research mentor, but he is beyond a research mentor. He has taught me many skills that translate to many aspects of my life,” Saoud said. “When I was writing my abstract, Dr. Leavesley taught me how to stay calm and collected during times of stress and that everything would work out in the end.” 

Mortar Board is a premier national honor society recognizing college seniors for outstanding achievement in scholarship, leadership and service to the campus community. The Sally Steadman Azalea Chapter of Mortar Board was founded at USA in 1969.