Monday, May 9, 2022

Meet a Ph.D. Student: Marlo Thompson

Marlo Thompson

Age: 28

Hometown: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Undergraduate/graduate institutions and degrees earned: B.S in biology from the University of Virginia; M.S in biology from Old Dominion University

BMS Program track and year of study: Third year in Cancer Biology

What research are you involved in?
My research focuses on DNA repair proteins, specifically the DNA glycosylase NEIL1.

What do you enjoy most about being a doctoral student at the USA College of Medicine? I have gotten to meet many people I never would have otherwise (like fellow Ph.D. student Amanda Tuckey).

What are your interests and hobbies outside of school and work?
I foster dogs on and off with a foster-based rescue in Mobile called Wags and Whiskers. To add to that chaos, I have three dogs and two cats of my own. I am also a member of the CrossFit Mobile gym. It has been a great place for me to relieve stress and maintain my mental health. The whole community is so accepting, and it has quickly become my favorite place to be. When we have the time, my husband and I are big into board games. A couple of my favorites include Betrayal (at House on the Hill), Mysterium, Sagrata and Gloomhaven.