Wednesday, August 11, 2021

COM Faculty Spotlight: Raymond John Maguire, M.D.

Raymond John Maguire, M.D.

Academic title: Assistant professor of emergency medicine 

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: November 2020

What does your position in the USA COM/USA Health entail?
My primary responsibility for the Emergency Department is clinical. While covering shifts in the ED, I am also responsible for teaching and mentoring interns and residents.  

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
Watching the residents develop as professionals and gain considerable confidence is fun to experience.  

What research or other initiatives are you involved in?
Along with several other USA faculty members, I am helping to establish a Division of Wilderness Medicine through the Department of Emergency Medicine.  

What is your advice for medical students?
Avoid group think. You will never achieve your greatest potential if you think like everyone else. All you have to do is look around at what's happening today to understand the danger of group think.

What are your hobbies and interests outside work?
Most of my hobbies revolve around being outside. I love to fish and ride my bikes. My wife and I love to hike and visit the national parks. We also have a new granddaughter who is a tremendous joy to be around.