Wednesday, May 19, 2021

COM Faculty Spotlight: Aishwarya Prakash, Ph.D.

Aishwarya Prakash, Ph.D

Academic title: Associate professor of biochemistry and molecular biology

Joined the USA College of Medicine faculty: March 2016

What does your position in the USA College of Medicine entail?
In my position, I pursue my research interests in DNA repair and structural biology, teach classroom style lectures for the medical and graduate students, mentor the members of my laboratory, and perform services to the university and other professional societies in the form of committees, editorial and grant review panels.

What is your favorite or most rewarding part of your position?
The best part of my job is to see my mentees succeed, whether it be an experiment that worked or a publication that made the cover of a magazine. Their joy is my joy; their success is my success. 

What research initiatives are you involved in?
I am a cancer biologist with a keen interest in structural biology. My laboratory is focused on environmental agents that induce DNA damage and its impact on cancer formation and progression. 

What is your advice for basic medical sciences students?
Work hard and it will pay off in the end. 

What are your hobbies/interests outside of work? 
I enjoy long walks in the sun and on the beach. I love to paint and read books.