Monday, March 15, 2021

Medical students match in military residency programs

While the majority of medical students go through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP), students in the military may opt to participate in a program that matches them with residencies at military medical facilities. 

This year, three fourth-year students at the USA College of Medicine – Joshua Dehart, Tyler King and James West – matched in military residency programs and found out their assignments on Jan. 6. 

Joshua Dehart
Waiting for match results can be a stressful but exciting time for families. Joshua Dehart anticipated receiving the email with his match results at 11 a.m. in early January. His wife, Cynthia, an active duty nurse in the U.S. Navy, asked him to wait until he got home to open the email. But, the suspense got the best of the couple, who have two sons and are expecting their third.

“She ended up FaceTiming me at around 11:02 saying that she couldn't wait to hear any longer,” Dehart said. He matched into a transitional year internship at the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth, Va.

Originally from Santa Maria, Calif., Dehart said he and his wife both knew they wanted to pursue careers in medicine. “But as far as military service, I'd say she was the biggest inspiration for me to join the military myself,” he said. 

Dehart attended the University of South Alabama for his undergraduate studies. After graduation, he and his wife lived in Spain for three years on military orders, but they knew they wanted to return to the Mobile area. Dehart chose the USA College of Medicine for medical school for the small class sizes, hands-on experience, supportive faculty and community impact.

Tyler King
For Tyler King, a Mobile native, the decision to attend the USA College of Medicine was “100 percent about the people,” she said. “There is a sense of community here at the USA College of Medicine that you will not find on every medical school campus.”

Before applying to medical school, though, King wanted to experience working in a different field and experiencing the world outside of her comfort zone. She learned many life lessons while working in education for a few years and devoting a year of service to AmeriCorps, she said. 

“The team-based learning skills that I treasured during the time I spent working in education and for AmeriCorps enticed me to look into joining the military in hopes to become a military doctor,” she said. “I knew if I were accepted that I would be able to receive excellent medical training and would be taught the skills to care for our brave women and men serving our country all over the world.” 

King was in the mountains of North Carolina with a few friends when she found out that she, too, matched at the Naval Medical Center in Portsmouth.

“After a nerve-wracking morning of waiting for the results to be released, we were able to celebrate accordingly,” she said. “I was very excited to let my family and friends know where I matched since they have been looking forward to this moment and supporting me throughout this intense process the last few years.”

After completing her internship year, King plans to apply for a general medical officer tour in aviation medicine. 

James West
James West had no military service prior to medical school, but he always knew he wanted to continue his family’s tradition of serving in the military in some way. Although none of his family members work in the medical field, West decided at an early age that he wanted to pursue medicine. 

The Health Professions Scholarship Program allowed West, who grew up in the small town of Ollie, Ala., to fulfill both of his goals: He serves as an officer in the U.S. Navy while attending the USA College of Medicine.  

West was deer hunting when he received the news that he matched in family medicine at Naval Hospital Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Fla.

“Growing up in a small town, I did not have very much exposure to the medical field,” he said. “I developed an interest in primary care because I could see the needs of places similar to where I grew up,” he said. 

West became interested in sports medicine while being involved in various sports in high school and college. He made the decision to pursue family medicine, so after his career in the Navy, he will be able to provide primary care in rural areas as well as practice sports medicine in places that often do not have access to those specialized services. 

“If I could tell my younger self a few words, it would be that no matter where you are from, and no matter what experiences you may have, you can do anything you set your mind to,” he said. “I am very thankful to be where I am today, and I am appreciative of all the people who have prayed for me and helped me along the way. I look forward to the challenges and opportunities of the years that lie ahead.”