Friday, March 4, 2011

USA Microbiology and Immunology To Host Retirement Reception For Dr. John E. Oakes

The University of South Alabama Department of Microbiology and Immunology will be hosting a retirement reception honoring Dr. John E. Oakes on March 15, 2011, from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the College of Medicine conference room on USA’s main campus.

Dr. Oakes retired after more than 33 years of service to the university. When he was hired in 1977 as an assistant professor, the microbiology and immunology department consisted of just three faculty members. Dr. Oakes, who became an associate professor in 1982 and a full professor in 1988, said it has been satisfying to see the department grow over the years.

“One of the things I enjoyed most while working in this department was the opportunity to collaborate with my colleague Dr. Bob Lausch on a number of research projects dealing with herpes simplex virus infections of the eye,” Dr. Oakes said. “Working together, we have published over 50 papers on the immune responses of the cornea to this human pathogen.”

Dr. Oakes plans to continue to teach some virology courses at USA, as well as stay involved in the herpes simplex virus projects still being done in the department.

“Working here has been a fantastic experience, and I have enjoyed every minute of my time on campus,” Dr. Oakes said. “At this time in my life, I can look back and really appreciate the tremendous support I have received over the years from our departmental chairs, the deans of the College of Medicine and my current and former colleagues. Without their help I would not have been able to maintain a productive research program over the past 30 years.”