Thursday, January 25, 2024

Meet a Med Student: Ryan McIlwain

Ryan McIlwain

Age: 23

Class: 2026

Hometown: Mobile, Alabama

Undergraduate education: B.S. in biology, University of Alabama

What do you enjoy most about being a medical student at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I have really enjoyed getting to know my classmates. Not only are my peers extremely talented, but I believe the Whiddon COM has done an excellent job recruiting great people as well. That, along with having a faculty that is deeply invested in my success, makes South a great place to be. 

Are you involved in any research, organizations or other initiatives at the Whiddon College of Medicine?
I am involved in research projects investigating different surgical techniques to correct congenital spinal deformity, the Wellness Council mentorship program, volunteering with Habitat for Humanity, and various student interest groups. 

What are your interests and hobbies?
I enjoy exercising, playing golf, and watching college football. 

What is something unique about you?
I was a practice player for the Alabama women's basketball team while in college.