Thursday, November 17, 2022

Sharing stories of gratitude

In this season of thankfulness, we asked alumni, medical and graduate students, faculty, staff and retirees from the Frederick P. Whiddon College of Medicine to send us their stories of gratitude. Below are the reflections they shared.

Pat Green
“I would like to offer a story of gratitude about Patricia Green, known to everyone as Pat. She was a former program coordinator for the Department of Internal Medicine Residency Program for many years and served the University of South Alabama for 35 years. She was always everyone’s go-to person for questions and problems. I distinctly remember when I initially interviewed with John Bass, who was the chairman of the department, I mentioned that I was apprehensive about taking the job as program director, as I felt inexperienced and underqualified. John reassured me by saying, ‘Don't worry, Tom; just ask Pat.’

“And indeed, as in most things, John Bass was exactly correct. All residents and medical students knew when they asked me something, my response was always ‘let's ask Pat.’ She was also a resource for other program coordinators and would always patiently assist anyone. She was the most knowledgeable, helpful, kindest and nicest person and was instrumental for many years in helping the Department of Internal Medicine achieve its goal of educating numerous medical students and residents.

“Sadly, Pat Green died on Oct. 7, 2021. But the University of South Alabama, its medical students, former residents, and faculty are immensely grateful for Pat Green's kindness, dedication and service. Thank you, Pat Green!”
– Tom Montgomery, M.D., Class of 1981

Mark Scott
“There are so many people in Mobile to whom I owe gratitude that it would take the entire newsletter plus more to name each individually, so instead I would like to thank the USA COM for taking a risk with me. I was definitely a nontraditional student who had not found a place where she belonged until I began school at USA COM. I had changed my major several times in undergrad and even dropped out of college while trying to figure out my life. I always had a love for science and medicine but didn’t think that I was a good enough student or strong enough person to go to medical school. The day that I interviewed, Mark Scott met me on the front steps of the school, shook my hand and welcomed me as if we had been old friends. He was the first of many faculty, instructors, mentors and peers that lifted me up and guided me through the rigors of medical school. USA COM was the first experience where I felt that I truly belonged and was part of a community, and for this, I will be forever grateful.”
– Lynn Crawford, M.D., Class of 1999

Wan Lim, Ph.D.
“Dr. Wan Lim teaching Gross Anatomy to the Class of 2001 was awesome. She invited us over to bake cookies at her house, and for those students from out of town and couldn’t make it home for the holidays, she would invite them to join her family gatherings. Of note, she also advised me not to change my last name when I got married to my classmate, and I have kept my maiden name. She was more than a professor – she was family. 

“Dr. Michael Sternberg and Dr. Terry Phillip Bell, Department of Emergency Medicine, were always ready to mentor. When I was in undergraduate in the 1990s, everyone seemed so busy in the ER; but they both took the time to teach, regardless where you were in your training. Until this day, I and many other students are grateful for their dedication. They both made you feel a part of the team. 

“Dr. Sidney Crosby – Family Medicine in Jackson, Alabama – gave me great insight into rural medicine in a small town. He and his family invited me to join them for church and Sunday lunch. I appreciated him making me a part of his family while I was away on my family medicine rotation in 2000.

“My husband, Brandon Mark Peters, and I (Romsel Ang) from the Class of 2001 appreciated Dr. Glenn Wilson, Dr. Susan LeDoux, Dr. Phillip Fields, and Dr. Wan Lim teaching Gross Anatomy and all the funny jokes right before lecture. They were passionate about their teaching and were always ready to help out in the gross lab. Until this day, we’ve both used what we learned in gross anatomy in each of our specialties.” 
– Romsel Ang, M.D., and Brandon Mark Peters, M.D., Class of 2001

Benjamin Estrada, M.D.
“I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Dr. Benjamin Estrada. He was a fabulous teacher during medical school. More recently, his wisdom and guidance throughout the pandemic has been invaluable. Thank you, Dr. Estrada, for your advice, patience and positive attitude!” 
– Nancy Oppenheimer Wood, M.D., Class of 2007

T.J. Hundley, M.D.
“I’d like to recognize and thank Dr. T.J. Hundley, one of the associate deans in the medical school, who has helped numerous medical students walk through truly anything that comes up. From writing letters of recommendation when appropriate, to talking through things that we may be struggling with, to meeting with us to improve study strategies, Dr. Hundley has met us as students wherever we are and in whatever capacity we need help. He never complains when meetings with a student run late, as he sees it as his job to care for each of us. His commitment to advocacy, improvement of the curriculum for the sake of the students, and drive to propel each student forward has made him such a dear person in the hearts and minds of the Class of 2023.” 
– Submitted by a member of the Class of 2023

Jonathan Scammell, Ph.D.
“I came to work in the admissions office at the USA College of Medicine a little over 10 years ago. The support I've received from those in this office has been amazing. They encouraged me to go back to school and put up with my moaning and groaning about homework and tests, and they celebrated my graduation. They have allowed me to grow and progress as an employee and a person. 

“Last summer, Mark Scott, now retired, Alani Rodgers, and, most importantly, Dr. Jonathan Scammell, stood by me and saw me through one of the darkest times of my life. I lost both my mother and my brother within 45 days of one another. I was devastated. Dr. Scammell sat down in my office one day and asked me a simple question, ‘Are you talking to anyone?’ to which I replied, ‘I don't need anyone.’ His question stayed with me, though; and as the pain and darkness grew, his question grew louder until finally, I found the strength to reach out and ask for help. His five simple words saved me. And for that, I am most thankful every single day.”
– Deborah Fetherland, Director of Admissions, Whiddon College of Medicine

Ashley Turbeville
“The Whiddon College of Medicine Health Systems Grants Admin and Development Office wants to thank their executive director, Ashley Turbeville, for her mentoring and dedication. Ashley has been with the University of South Alabama since 1993. We value her tireless commitment to training and mentoring future researchers and administrative personnel. Thank you for all you do, Ashley!”
– Office of Health Systems Grants Administration and Development 

“I work in care access at the Mastin Building in Internal Medicine. I previously worked at University Hospital as a PCA on the fourth floor. I have worked in two very different environments within USA Health, and I would say the top two things I have been most thankful for are still the same. First, patients who are kind. I'm sure most of us know how it feels being on the other end of things and being the patient yourself. Second, coworkers who make you feel included. Working in healthcare can be super stressful. Having coworkers who care about you, treat you like family, help you, while never making you feel any less of a person/employee – it means the world. So I would say I am very thankful for the people out there with kind hearts, on both sides of healthcare!”
– Ashlan Broadus, Care Access, Department of Internal Medicine