Friday, February 25, 2011

"In a Way, My Leukemia Has Been a Blessing"

For decades Dr. Phillip Fields has inspired young medical students and scientists alike with his knowledge of human anatomy. Following his diagnosis with leukemia, he continues to inspire, not only in the gross lab, but at marathon races across the United States.

Dr. Fields, who is an associate professor of cell biology and neuroscience at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine, teaches the first course students take in medical school – human anatomy.

As a life-long runner, Dr. Fields has typically run two to three marathons a year. It was during training for the 2008 Boston Marathon that he noticed a change in his stamina. “I realized something was wrong with my body,” Dr. Fields said. “I could not complete three miles without walking.”

After six months of cardiovascular, respiratory and GI exams, his doctors did not know the cause of his fatigue. Then, at a yearly checkup, his physician discovered enlarged lymph nodes and a high white blood count. He was referred to the USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, where it was confirmed that Dr. Fields had chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL).

“As a scientist, the cancer diagnosis was somewhat disconcerting,” Dr. Fields said. “I realize my leukemia will not be cured, but my goal is to put the cancer into remission.”

Dr. Fields said he uses running and training as a way of coping with his illness. “The first question I asked my doctor after being diagnosed was, ‘Can I continue to run?’” he said. “My goal is to challenge myself by running a marathon once a month.”

After his diagnosis, Dr. Fields began training his body to run with the fatigue. He hopes to run a marathon in every state, incorporating visits to national parks along the way. The January 2011 Houston marathon was his 29th state within 24 months. “Life is good, and running has been my chemo,” he said.

Dr. Fields, who started chemotherapy treatments this month, said he is sharing his story to raise awareness and to help others who have been impacted by cancer. “In a way, my leukemia has been a blessing,” he said. “I’ve had a blast going state to state and seeing our great country while doing what I enjoy – running marathons. I would have never done this without leukemia.”

For the complete story and photos of places traveled, visit http://www.marathonwithleukemia.org/MYSTORY.html