Friday, August 20, 2010

Orientation Held for Students Entering Doctorate Program in Basic Medical Sciences


The University of South Alabama College of Medicine held orientation this week for students entering the doctorate program in basic medical sciences. The students will start their first day on Monday.

One student entering the program, Chian Ju Jong, originally from Malaysia, received her undergraduate degree in biology and her master’s degree in environmental toxicology from USA.
Jong said her sister also attended USA. “She told me it was a really great school, and that’s when I decided to come here,” Jong said.

Jong said she has enjoyed her time in Mobile. “I really like the programs USA offers,” she said. “My professors have always been very helpful. When I was earning my undergraduate degree, they always worked with me and helped me to excel and be a critical thinker.”

While studying environmental toxicology, Jong said she became interested in research. “I found out that research is what really interests me, and I realized that it was what I wanted to do more of,” she said.

Kirsten Fondren, a native of Los Angeles, received her bachelor’s degree in social sciences with a minor in biology from Tulane University. Fondren said she has been out of school for five years and is excited to be back.

“I’m really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and exercising my brain cells again,” she said.

Peter Favreau, from Mobile, Ala., is also a USA graduate who decided to continue his education at USA by entering the doctorate program in basic medical sciences.

“I’m most excited about all of the lab rotations we will have,” he said. “There are so many different types of science, and I’m looking forward to learning more about each of them.”

“This entire experience is a really great opportunity,” Favreau said, “and I’m definitely excited about it.”